25 February 2013

How to Build and Hang 24" Floating Shelves

how to build floating shelves, ideas for decorating a bathroom, bathroom storage,before and after

When I made a clock, I didn't wait for my husbands help.  I figured out how to use the router on my own.  This project involved intimidating saws and I needed his help (just a little).  This tutorial also includes how not to hang the shelves ( I messed up and learned the hard way). 
This tutorial is for two 24" shelves for the bathroom.

Items Needed:

I wanted to make this a low cost project so I tried to use wood left over from other projects.  I only had to purchase the trim moulding.

1 = 1"x8' trim moulding
1 = 1/8" plywood 4'x24"
1 = 1"x2"x8' pine board
1 = 1"x 3"x8'
Brad Nailer and Air Compressor
Miter Saw
Table Saw
Clamps
Pencil
6 = 4" screws
4 = 1" wood screws
drywall anchors
Kilz Primer
Krylon Spray Paint White
Rustoleum Clear Lacquer
Wood putty
Stud Finder
Chalk
Level

How to Build Floating Shelves:

Step 1:  Use the table saw to cut the plywood into four 9.5" x 24" pieces.

Step 2:  Use the miter saw to cut the 1"x2" pine board to fit like the picture below.  Piece #4 is cut shorter than piece #2 so that it will fit inside piece #1 & #3.  Cut piece #4 out of 1"x3"x8' ( 1x2 is not strong enough to support shelf ).


how to build floating shelves

Step 3:  Lay the pieces together, make sure the edges are flush, and secure with clamps.  Do not nail piece #4, It will mount directly on the wall.

how to build floating shelves

Step 4:  Use brad nailer on both sides to secure plywood, about every 3 inches.

how to build floating shelves

Step 5:  Use miter saw ( and husband ) to cut moulding to frame the 3 sides.

how to build floating shelves

Step 6:  Patch all holes.

how to build floating shelves

Step 7:  Prime with kilz.  Spray paint for smooth finish.  Clear coat to resist moisture damage.  ( It's going in a kids bathroom )



How NOT to hang floating shelves:

Do not use 1"x2" it will not support the shelf.
Pre-drill holes or wood will split.

how to hang and level shelves

How to hang floating shelves:

 Step 1:  Locate and mark the center of the wall.  Locate and mark the studs.  Try to anchor the shelf into at least one stud.  Use drywall anchors if a stud is not found.

how to hang and level shelves

Step 2:  Mark the center of the board and line it up with the center of the wall.   Pre-drill holes to avoid splitting.  Mount piece #4 to wall.

how to hang and level shelves

Step 3:  Slide shelf over cleat and secure by drilling 2 = 1" wood screws through the top and into piece #4.

how to build floating shelves, ideas for decorating a bathroom, bathroom storage

I hope you find this tutorial useful.  You cans see the before and after here.  The complete bathroom makeover is coming soon.

3 comments:

  1. Hello!

    I wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Liebster Award! You can check it out on my blog today! Have a great day!

    Kathie
    http://www.sassylittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    I wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Liebster Award! You can check it out on my blog today! Have a great day!

    Kathie http://www.sassylittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete