I had a reader recently comment that "Sometimes people show room makeovers and before and after pics and make it seem like it was a quick/no big deal kind of thing." I find that to be so true. This post will not just be a quick before and after! You are going to see every step and every mess-up in-between. If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again.
My mother had a yard sale and she offered me her old lazy
I used my palm sander to remove the old finish.
I like to clean the wood with mineral spirits after sanding.
I used a Martha Stewart Craft Stencil and white acrylic paint to make the pattern.
Then I repositioned the stencil to continue the pattern.
It looked great! Clean lines and no paint bleeding under the stencil.
Then I applied the stain and wiped it off with a rag (even over the paint). I have used this technique before on my Vintage and Modern Table and got a great result.
This time it just looked.....not right.
So, I painted over the white with teal.
I loved the colors together but I could see the white under the teal. This is the same color I painted my accent wall in the Family Room, Valspar Spa Pool.
I thought..hmm..what if i sand over the paint and make it look rustic?
Still .....not right. I'll try it again!
I sanded off the paint and stained the lazy susan, again. This time I used a wood conditioner before applying the stain. It really helped the stain apply more evenly.
After it was dry I taped the edges and positioned the stencil. This time in the center.
I applied the paint, again.
It didn't have the crisp lines I wanted.
I lined up the stencil to continue the pattern, again.
I removed all the tape but this time there was a residue and the stencil was not centered. It still didn't have the clean lines it should have. Let's do it again!
I didn't take pictures this round because I was so frustrated. I stripped it down to bare wood, cleaned it off, applied wood conditioner and stained it, again.
This time I got smart and bought something I should of used the first time, Repositionable Adhesive!
I applied a clear lacquer to the lazy susan to protect it from ...my family at the table.
This lazy susan took a lot of trial and error but I didn't give up until I achieved the look I wanted. I hope you enjoyed reading this post.